Southern Counties Camping Weekend

Yes at long last the folding camper is getting some use.

I was a little worried as the folding camper has been sat on our driveway for the last 4 years not being used but late Friday we hooked up and I took the brave step and towed for the first time ever. I passed my test after 1997 so a folding camper is the largest thing I can tow however when opened up it's a 6 berth so lots of room for George, Tarkka and I.

On arrival at Newbury showground Steve Cooper met us and he took over the driving to get it on the space they had reserved for us (yes Steve has been insured to drive my car since we started driving up and down the country 3 years ago showing Tarkka with Shelley & Steve and their lappies).
As Steve pulled the camper onto the pitch we where met by Andy, Karen, Gavin, Kay, Toni, Stuart and Shelley to help get the camper set up in record time and the  fencing up so Tarkka could roam free in a camping garden. So with Shelley off walking Tarkka we got set up super fast (thanks guys) however we then hit a couple of problems. Until this trip we have always been on electric hook up but at Newbury showground we needed to be on gas and battery but problems started when we noticed we couldn't get the lighting to work or the fridge on gas to light. 



We took a break to have a BBQ all 11 of us sat outside together on a stretch of grass by the caravans which was lovely until the wind got up when we retired to Karen and Andys awning, now having been joined by Shelley & Clive and Caron and Graham we proceeded to play chase the ace, Steve kindly stepped out and got the fridge lit and lighting working but quickly rejoined us. Finally we headed for bed and I decided that Tarkka could roam free in the camper and awning only to go check on him at 4am and discover he had crawled through a tiny gap in the awning door and was happily asleep in the garden bless him.

Saturday arrived and we spend most of the morning discussing lunch arrangements, walking dogs and going around Southern Counties show. Lunch was again a group effort outside with Port and Cheese been top of the menu. The sun was blazing so we all decided to walk the dogs again later and all retired to our own campers/caravans to read/sleep. Later that day Sam arrived as she was joining us for the fish and chips super and quiz later that evening. The quiz was fantastic fun, our team won mainly due to George with Paula, Adam and Pip chipping in.

I was a little busy having puppy cuddles with Kiitos (Paula and Adam's new bundle of joy follow Kiitos here)
I did however let other people have cuddles too.

They evening continued with lots more drinking and Terry then got his guitar and was had a sing song Chris even taught us actions for some of the songs and we also discovered a real singer in the group who alongside Terry on guitar, Pip and Adam on drums (boxes and water bowls) Shelly entertained us with some great singing with us joining in with the chorus. Sam and Kay did some great swaying I believe as much due to the quantity of wine consumed as the great music. Marina re-joined us after spending an hour or two writing up her dog world reports in Shelley and Steve's caravan did I mention at this point we are all v cosy in their awning.

As the evening drew to and end we went and got Inko who was keeping Tarkka company over in our awning. Then it was a good night sleep as showing the next day.

Humf did I say good night sleep, I think not, due to the wind getting up I spent most of the night checking we still had an awning attached to the camper and at 3am I made Tarkka come inside the camper to sleep as it was horrid outside.
Sunday of course brought with it show day but also pack down day. So after a fried breakfast George took Tarkka out for a walk while I started packing down. I then swapped with George and with help from Steve I left the boys while I headed over to the show.
I decided to ask Kay if she would show Tarkka for me as I forgot to pack any trousers (it was 27 degrees and sunny when I packed) so I have stupidly only packed shorts and skirts but with the wind been so strong I didn't want to flash at anyone in the ring. Kay did a fab job with Tarkka getting 3rd in Limit and he was acting like a puppy with Kay (sorry Kay).

The day continued to get better as I watched Shelley qualify Kippis for crufts and due to winning open dog he will now get his stud book number. She then went on to qualify Taru in vets, the look on Shelleys face was a picture. We where then chuffed to see Arttu get his first CC so pleased for Wendy she took him in 8 months ago and has worked really hard with him.
By now it was chucking it down with rain and freezing cold, we grabbed a cuppa tea and some chips did a bit of puppy shopping and headed back with Tarkka to the camper which was packed down but we still had to pack up the fencing in the rain. Tarkka snuggled into his duvet on the back seat of the car while George and I got soaked then it was homeward bound to start preparing for the next trip. Here's a picture of Tarkka doing what he does best when camping.


We will be missing a couple of shows over June and July as we have some special trips booked to go see our new bundle of fluff as we are privileged to be having one of Susanne Crowhurst pups (Unikko/Musse) in 6 weeks time

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a fab weekend, hope to be there next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanne you missed a great weekend however 1 week old puppies are also great :-)

    ReplyDelete